A coming of age contemporary romance that’ll pull on all your heart strings…

I don’t actually know where to begin with Dazed. My head is just jam packed with every single facet of this book that I’m physically speechless whilst my mind is going at 1000 miles an hour. Basically, I’m reeling. Maria Macdonald has outdone herself with Laura’s and Tarrant’s story. Here’s the thing – 95% of this book is on the older spectrum of YA. I know some people will feel that the topics and some of the content is sensitive and may not find it suitable for that genre, however, the way in which those subjects are approached is spectacularly graceful. Now, I’m not saying that it makes the story any less powerful or heart-wrenching, however, I wouldn’t be uncomfortable with an older teen reading that 95% of it. Saying that, the other 5% is a little more explicit and I wouldn’t say it’s suitable for under 18s. It’s actually a wonder coming of age story depicting the different facets of love. Personally I could not put it down.

Character development wise it was very well done, there were times when I was a little confused as to whether the characters were in College or High School because of their thought processed versus their actions. Did it take away from the story? In all honesty, it didn’t for me – but if you are a reader that needs staunch structure it may. Saying that, I found that Laura was a very well rounded character. I liked that although she used her appearance to hide from her hurt of the past, that she also felt comfortable with it. In no way does she depend on her appearance, that’s not what I’m trying to say. No. What I mean is that Macdonald has done an ingenious job of conveying how her past has impacted her present via the way in which Laura hides behind her clothes. I thought it was a clever way of portraying the mental and emotional scarring. Again with Tarrant, I though he was a solid character. I loved the way in which he started off in the edges of the story but slowly as he and Laura interact more and more he also becomes more and more central. I just loved their back and forth… their banter was on pointe! For me the character that I REALLY loved was Caden. Macdonald’s ability to tell his story from Laura’s perspective and through dialogue is phenomenal. Caden’s character is definitely what showcases Maria Macdonald’s writing skill. I’m in awe at how she manipulated the reader to empathise so devastatingly with him through Laura’s past and through their interactions. 

I really enjoyed Dazed, it’s a solid start to the Deliverance series. It was just such a beautiful and liberating read. Although it was dark at times, it was also an easy, solid read. I really hope I don’t have to wait too long for the next book – and I hope that it is Caden’s story. I’d like to see him get his happy ending. 

About the Book

People say the heart wants what it wants and will not be denied.

Those people are fools.

I’m a practiced hand at hiding from the world. The scars I bear are invisible to all but me, and I use them to sustain the walls I’ve built around myself.

He knocked my simple life into disarray and infiltrated my carefully constructed defenses.

The tight control I maintain is at breaking point, and ever since our eyes connected across a lunch hall, my world has been off balance.

I can’t have him, and he can’t have me.

I know it.

He knows it.

I’m just not sure that Tarrant Reigns has ever followed anyone’s rules.

Everything and everyone is against us.

Even his brother.

Caden brought us together, but now he’s standing in our way.

AVAILABLE FOR FREE ON KU!

About the Author

Maria is a full time working Mum, she has two beautiful daughters, both of whom love books as much as she does.

Maria has loved to write since she was a little girl.

Reading and loving books, as well as blogging, has inspired her to write and publish.

Maria, her husband and children now reside in Wiltshire, England.

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | PINTEREST | INSTAGRAM | HOME

 
Share:
Marta Aguiar
Written by Marta Aguiar
I'm a mid twenties mummy living in North London, a graduate in English literature and creative writing from the university of Aberyswyth in Wales. I love to bake, cook, read and watch films, and love spending time with my little toddler, Jasper, and our new addition, Mylo. I blog about our family life and my general interests, with the odd guest blog from my partner, Kayne.