Now, in our house a good toastie is always appreciated… honestly, anything with bread and cheese is always a hit. For me, anything with eggs is simply a MUST! I am a complete and utter egg-a-holic, if there is such a thing – if not, there is now! Normally on week days Kayne and I will either have a quick porridge or some scrambled eggs with a slice of bread. Simple, easy and filling!
In our household this is more of a weekend treat, mostly a Saturday morning one at that. Sundays are for lying in with a Disney classic or a Pixar adventure. There’s something about having a family cuddle first thing in the morning, both of the boys still docile with what is left of their sleep and not having to think of everything that needs to be done today. We’ve declared Sunday a PJ day in our home!
So, this little concoction actually came about because Jasper wanted a toastie and Kayne and I wanted French toast and we could not decide whether to have it Jasper’s way or our way… in the end I just decided on a 2-in-1 dish that satisfied everybody and game me my morning egg fix too! I’m fully aware that a traditional Croque Monsieur uses a classic Béchamel sauce, however, I like to think that mornings are not for intricate meals that require multiple pots and pans and lots of cleaning up afterwards. So, I made my own cheat white sauce that incorporates all the flavours, but none of the effort! I always go for a nice, thick, honey cured ham slices, this offers a lovely sweetness that works with the cinnamon and Maple syrup to lift the dish. The brioche offers a super indulgent and richness that makes this every inch the comfort food we all love. The cheesy sauce with the hint of mustard just oozes out when you cut into the sandwich and mixes with the runny richness of the yolk… this just forms the most luxurious pool of yummyness and at the same time offers just the right kick you need to get your tastebuds going… It really is just the ultimate bite of perfection!
Just look at this…
- 2 Extra Thick Brioche slices
- 1 cup Milk
- 2tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/2 Cup + 5tbsp Double Cream
- 1/4tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella
- 1/2 cup Mature Cheddar
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 Egg yolk
- 3 eggs
- 2 Thick Slices Honey Roast Ham
- 1tbsp Butter
- Heat oven to 180 celcius
- Slice into the middle of each slice of brioche so that you are left with a pocket
- In a deep dish mix milk and maple syrup and warm gently.
- Beat in an egg, 1/2 cup cream and the cinnamon into the milk.
- In a bowl mix cheese, mustard, 5tbsp cream, nutmeg and yolk.
- Line each brioche pocket with a slice of ham and stuff with the cheese mixture.
- Soak both pockets in the milk mixture evenly on both sides.
- Melt butter in a non stick griddle pan and cook till both sides are golden.
- Place on an oven tray and bake for 20minutes.
- Serve with a fried egg on top.